Search This Blog

10 Mar 2010

Is your job your defining characteristic?



I had an absurd conversation like this not too long ago. A woman who expected an enormous amount of praise for her job as a social worker. I just don't get why she thought everyone would fall over her because of this. I guess it's tough, but if the job really brings you to the brink of despair several times a day, maybe it's just that you're not cut out for it. If you're going to spend 40 hours a week on it, it better be something you like. I had an another altercation with a professional marine, once. The general thrust of his story was that he didn't want to die, and that it was all the fault of politicians. I countered that if, for instance, the military were in charge of the government, he'd probably still be expected to die. I believe it's inherent to the job. If you want to live, you can increase your chances by not picking jobs were dying is part of the description.

No comments:

Post a Comment